Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Why I Love Hanukkah

Hanukkah starts today, at sundown. We are Christian, but we light the menorah for eight nights in our house. We are Mormon, to be specific. But I love Judaism. So much so, I am minoring in it at the University of Minnesota. I read biblical Hebrew... Slowly. It takes practice.  I got to teach all about the story of Hanukkah to a group of teenage seminary students this morning. I learned so much in preparation to teach it, I wanted to share what I learned. Mainly about myself.
The main thing I learned, was that I love Judaism so much, because  I love my relationship with the Savior. Christ would have celebrated Hanukkah with his family. Doing and learning about his life, makes me feel closer to him.

I learned that when the Temple was rededicated after the Maccabean revolt, they took the strings from priests clothing that had been damaged by the Syrians, and used it to string up lights. They lit up the entire outer court of the Temple. It is a symbol of a dedicated temple to have it decorated with lights on the grounds. Our church does that at the Salt Lake Temple and the Mesa Arizona Temple every Christmas season. Now I know why. It is a very sacred thing. I am putting extra lights on my house next year!

I cried as I read the accounts from the Book of Maccabean and the Talmud. The book of Maccabees said that when the Syrians (Greek is not quite accurate- Yes they started it, but Alexander the Great was only around 12 years) began to rule, that the beauty of the women changed. Their perception of what was beauty changed without the temple.  When they went into the desecrated Temple they found fragments of candlesticks and garments and the veil, they gathered it all up, took it to a mountain, knelt down and prayed to God to know what to do. They also mourned, and rent their clothes. The imagery of that was powerful. How much more humble can it get?

The story of Hanukkah is about the Lord. They only had oil for one night, and he, through a miracle, let it burn for eight nights. Enough time for them to make more oil. The Lord suffered in Gethsemane, which was an garden of Olive trees. In that garden there would have been a press for making oil used in the temple. When an olive is pressed, before it is purified for the temple, the oil runs red. We are purified through the blood of Jesus Christ, and before we go to the house of the Lord, we are purified in white.

These are the thoughts I have as I light the Hanukkah candles, and this is what I talk about with my children. I am sure, that as the Savior lit his Hanukkah candles, Mary taught him the same things about the Temple, and it helped him understand his role. I am so happy My Heavenly Father, gave me such a deep love for these religious things. I am so grateful I found them, even though they are not a part of my traditional religion. I am so grateful that the Lord gave me a way to connect to him, that I understand and can learn.

AND, I am grateful donuts and chocolate coins are a part of Hanukkah, and that we eat them every night.

I love this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHwyTxxQHmQ

1 comment:

  1. I was able to teach seminary kids about it as well this year! Such a great lesson, it was. :) love you. :)

    ReplyDelete